Tweaks to my site in the last couple days:
- My Articles page was already marked up as an h-feed, but because the links to the posts were not marked up as
h-entryit appeared empty. I remedied that and submitted an issue to the dev.
- I added
<link>so that, at least in theory, I can now support old-fashioned pingbacks by having webmention.io forward them to me as webmentions.
- Tracked down why, when I try to start composing a reply and one of the actors in the thread is a profile I can't retrieve (such as because their instance uses a whitelist I'm not on), I get a 500 error; wrapped the offending attempt to add them to the "@" list in a
tryand, for now, just drop them from the list, the same way the instance where my other account lives seems to do it. Submitted an issue for that too. (I might investigate later what happens if I try to leave the @-mention in place even though the lookup failed.)
- Implemented a config toggle (not sure why I bothered to make it a config toggle; maybe I think other people might like it eventually?) to change the object IDs of posts from being a hex representation of a UUID to being a NewBase60-encoded...well, unix timestamp divided by 60, because I wanted resolution to the minute. Why? Because I have a few edge cases I think I might come across eventually in which I want to work around the fact that I can't easily edit my posts by predicting a permalink in advance. I may remove the division by 60 eventually, because I am pretty sure I generate one of those IDs for everything I do, and therefore I now can't post two things within the same minute. That might not sound like a big deal given how long my notes are (no, I can't type this much in under a minute), but the ID in question is also used as the ActivityPub ID of the action, so it applies - I'm pretty sure, and have tested at least one combination - to likes, shares, and so forth as well. By comparison...well, I suppose I might try to like and boost something within the same second, but not often. Anyhow, I'll see how it goes - the other nice thing about it is that as far as I can tell, since the IDs were already just something standing in to be unique, I can switch it up whenever I like and it just affects my posts during the time I have that configuration active. Come to think of it, I should make it configurable whether it uses seconds or minutes. Maybe tomorrow.
So there's just one problem, from my perspective. Which is that before I decided to muck around with all that, I had meant to use this weekend to work on the #holidayhack, because I thought I might actually try to submit my write-up this year...
Quick addition: I forgot to credit Kevin Marks for the CC0 Python implementation of NewBase60 I'm using. I did update it for Python 3 by pressing backspace six times (before noticing there's a pull request from ezag that makes it Python3-compatible without giving up Python2 functionality).